We are so honored to shared that genesis won first place in the Literary Magazine of the Year award from the Indiana Collegiate Press Association (ICPA)!
ICPA runs a yearly contest with awards available for literary journals, newspapers, websites, and yearbooks run by students on college campuses throughout the state. We are proud to be able to say that genesis frequently brings home many of these awards each year. The 2023 winners were recently announced at the ICPA Conference and Awards Lunch hosted here on IUPUI’s campus on April 1st.
The contest contains multiple categories to award different genres from publications throughout the previous calendar year. The top three submissions in each category are honored. Here are the categories in which our magazine won:
- Single Issue: Fall 2022 issue (second place)
- Short Poem: "Surrogate father sestina" by Nathan Marquam (first place; from the Fall 2022 issue)
- Formal Poem: "Walking Down an Evening Beach" by David Casey (first place; from the Spring 2022 issue)
- Flash Fiction: "Modern Medicine" by Kayla McVeigh (second place; from the Fall 2022 issue)
- Creative Nonfiction: "The Abandoned, the Alone, and the Left Behind" by David Casey (first place; from the Spring 2022 issue)
- Overall Design: Spring 2022 issue (third place)
- Photo: "Bladed Mirror" by Kaiti Shannon (first place; from the Spring 2022 issue)
- Hand-drawn Illustration: "Raven Mocker" by Raeya Wilhelm (first place; from the Fall 2022 issue) and "Lollipop, Lollipop, Oh Lolli-Lolli-Lolli" by Emma Schwartz (second place; from the Spring 2022 issue)"
- Artwork: "Where Was Jesus?" by Danielle Harrell (second place; from the Fall 2022 issue)
Each of these individual wins were added together to determine the overall Literary Magazine of the Year, securing our first place position! As far as we can tell from our records, we have now won this first place title a total of seven times since genesis had its beginning in 1972, in addition to other times that we ranked within the top three. Please check out the ICPA website for more information about their contests! More detailed comments from the judges on each winning are available in this document.
We are absolutely thrilled to be honored this way! Thank you to ICPA and to all of our staff and contributors who made this possible, and congratulations to all the dwinners!
Monica Simmons is a senior at IUPUI about to graduate with a major in English (Professional and Public Writing) and minors in Communication Studies and Philosophy. She serves as one of genesis's Managing Editors and hopes to continue editorial work after graduating. Some of her favorite things to do are laughing at puns and crying over The Lord of the Rings. Find more of her work and connect with her here.